21 December 2008

Weathering the storm pt.1

My mother and I have been going through it. Our relationship through the years have been getting stronger but with me telling her that I'm a lesbian our relationship has gotten worse. She tells me that my girlfriend is hindering me from finding a good man to marry and have children with. She also tells me that I cannot be who I am because it is not right and my soul is on the line. 
I've tried to talk to her and explain to her how this is not my choosing but she says it is. It has been difficult to know that my mother does not accept me as who I am. She also thinks that who I am is because of the influences I had in college and she feels bad that she let me go away for undergrad. I don't know how to make my mother understand me and it hurts me inside to know that my mother is fighting a battle that Is not hers to fight. She even thinks my involvement with my sister is too much for my sister to handle at her teenage age. 
I am thinking about moving out thinking that that will make it easier on my mother and I. If we dont see each other everyday then maybe she can get through it with the many other problems she is carrying on her shoulders. But with moving my sister and I may loose the time we share because of my mother thinking that who I am is too much for my sister.
Right now I have no idea how to get through to my mother my words are not enough for her and my actions are too much for her to handle. I knew that my mother taking it well was only a phase and although I had time to prepare there really was not anything I could have done to prepare for this. 

4 comments:

Journey_Wmn said...

First I'm so glad that you're back posting again. I think you have the right idea about moving out. There really isn't anything you can do about changing your mother's attitude. She'll come around in time. She just has to go through it. My mom was pretty cool but I can tell that she still thinks that I'm going through a phase. It's rough but you'll make it through and you and your sister will stay in touch. Its just gonna be rough for a while but things will turn around.

mariedavis said...

Sorry about the problems with your mom. On the good side, at least she has not disowned you. I've got lots of friends who have been disowned. I think your mom will eventually find her own peace with your lesbianism, but it may take many years. The best thing is that you are strong and determined --
Marie

CraigJC said...

"Make peace with yourself."
Love the blog, btw.
Please stop by sometime.

http://popwife.blogspot.com/

omi said...

hang in there. i hope you land in a soft, safe place. peace.