18 January 2010

Ayiti

So I am officially 25. I took a well needed vacation and went to Las Vegas for a week. It was fun I had a good time. The day of my birthday Jan 12th was the day of Haiti's Earthquake. I do not know if you all know but my mother is Haitian born and raised there. I have not been to Haiti yet but I know that we still have family there. It was devastating to know that the earthquake happened to this beautiful country my mother calls home. She tells my siblings and I about her childhood and how much freedom and fun she had.

Since my undergraduate graduation I thought of going to grad school joining the Peace Corp and going to Haiti to help where ever I was needed. I found out when I got to grad school that the Peace Corp has not gone to Haiti since 2005. I was disappointed to find that out but I told myself I would find a way to make it there and make a difference. Since the earthquake my mother has been watching the news and hoping that she hears from the family in Haiti.

I know of one person in Haiti she is my god sister. I might have talked about her before I cannot remember but my godmother adopted her. When she was in the states she and I did not spend that much time together because of our distance but her story has always stuck with me. She was sent back to Haiti by my godmother when she had her own children... my godmother did not want her anymore. I then found out that the people she was living with in Haiti did not want her there either and treated her like Cinderella was treated in the movie. I am not sure where she is living in Haiti now or even if she is still alive but she is always in my prayers. I thought about her when hurricanes Jeanne and Hanna hit and every time Haiti is in the news. I still think about her. I wish I could do something more now but I know that my prayers are making a difference.

Beautiful people I am asking you to please pray and donate to the people in Haiti if you can. To donate $10 to the American Red Cross Haiti Earthquake relief efforts text "HAITI" to 90999. To donate $5 to Wyclef's Yele Haiti Fund text "YELE" to 501501. Peace and Blessings always!

~Evolving


2 comments:

UGLYFirst said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY
I hope you were able to get in contact with your godsister and your other family members in Haiti.

EvolvingContradiction7 said...

Thank You! We have not been able to get in contact with anyone yet but there is hope. Thanks for asking.